Canoainfo shares a couple of Valentine’s Day recipe using the healthy Canola Oil.
Spiced Apple Ginger Cake
3 apples, peeled and cut into wedges
3/4 cups Grenadine syrup 175 mL
1 (18 oz/515g) spice cake mix
1/3 cup canola oil 75 mL
1 1/4 cups water 300 mL
1/3 cup ginger marmalade 75 mL
1 cup finely chopped pecans 250 mL
3/4 cup toffee bits 175 mL
1 apple, peeled, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Place apple slices in sealable bag with Grenadine syrup. Turn to coat apples well. Set aside in refrigerator.
- Spray a 10 inch (25 cm) spring form pan with canola oil. Cut waxed paper to fit the bottom of pan. Place in pan and spray again with canola oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, canola oil, water and eggs. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Beat in marmalade. Stir in pecans, toffee bits and chopped apple.
- Drain Grenadine soaked apples and use paper towel to remove extra moisture. Place apples in a decorative pattern on the bottom of the spring form pan. Carefully pour batter over top of apples. Bake for 60 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn cake upside down on rack and carefully remove waxed paper, and cool completely.
Tropical Banana Delight
4 bananas, peeled, cut in half and sliced lengthwise
2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
1/4 cup brown sugar 60 mL
1 to 2 Tbsp orange juice or favorite liquor 15 to 30 mL
1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground cardamom 1 to 2 mL
1/4 cup toasted coconut 60 mL
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, toasted, coarsely chopped 60 mL
- Prepare bananas. Heat canola oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar, orange juice and cardamom. Heat ingredients, stirring gently.
- Add bananas and continue to stir gently, spooning brown sugar mixture over bananas as they cook. Do not over cook bananas as they will turn mushy.
3. Transfer bananas to individual serving dishes and spoon sauce over top of each serving. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and macada.